Monday, November 26, 2007

This is my first post in November???




Where the heck, you might ask, have I been? Well, as some may know, November is National Novel Writing Month, and this is the second year I've participated. The deal is you make a goal to write a novel of at least 50,000 words in 30 days. It doesn't have to be good (one of the mottos is "December is for rewrites"), it doesn't even have to make sense, you just need to commit to write. My son, who has participated in this thing three times (while pulling a full load at a tough college), got me into it last year and I had fun with it. But this year I also had the BJP commitment and wasn't sure I'd be able to manage both. Well, I've made my 50,000 word goal, and even like my little novel so far, and I've finished my page. The page is in honor of the Mexican festival of the Day of the Dead which is traditionally celebrated on the first of November and even in some places for a week in November. I love the bright colors and flowers and symbolism of meeting up with our beloved dead for a bit, I think it's such a celebration of life. I used charlottes and various fancy beads for the skull itself, and then used vintage lucite flowers as the wreath surrounding the skull. Meanwhile, I'm hoping to get a bracelet done before the 30th and then I'll be quite proud. So far this month has been a blast!
cheers,
Sarah

3 comments:

Barb said...

I *love* the juxtaposition of the skull and the flowers. Very cool! And writing a novel! I've always wanted to--good for you!

KV said...

Oh my -- this piece certainly does speak Day of the Dead!

Now I want to see what you do with the bracelet . . .


Kathy V in NM

artandtea said...

Hi Sarah,
I love the combination of the beaded skull and the brightly colored flowers. Life and death and honoring loved ones who have passed on. I was very moved by all of the symbolism in your page. Wonderful work!
-Karen