Wednesday, October 17, 2007

October Progress


Well, my page for October is coming along nicely, and I expect to be done in a couple of days, then I can concentrate on my bracelet. I work with the hectic and toxic American health care system and am increasingly uncomfortable with the lack of healing in that environment. I've found that images of ancient shamans attract me, and help me center myself more. This shaman was originally found as a cave painting in France, and is called The Trois Freres Shaman. This is my beadwork interpretation of him. I've beaded him once before, on leather pouch for a doctor friend, and I always wanted a depiction of him for myself. I'm pleased with the way he's turning out, and also used some new techniques for using sequins that I learned from Mary Tafoya at a recent bead retreat (she was kind enough to gift me with the shell 'sequins' that I used as the ground under the shaman's feet).

6 comments:

Padparadscha said...

Oh, he's wonderful !

Do you know where he is in France by any chance ? Might go and pay him a visit one of these days ;o)

beadnik said...

Hi Helene! He is wonderful, isn't he? From the information I can get online, the Cave of the Trois-Frères is one of the caves in southwestern France famous for its cave paintings. It is located in Montesquieu-Avantès, in the Ariège département. I believe the Lascaux caves are in southwestern France, too? I hope you get to go see this, I'd love to hear about it if you do.
Cheers,
Sarah

artandtea said...

I've only seen pictures of this image and would love to be able to see it in person someday. Your beaded image is very powerful. I love the shell "sequins" under his feet. Great job! -Karen

KV said...

This is a neat idea, Sarah, and it is coming along beautifully. Can't wait to see what the bracelet will look like . . .


Kathy V in NM

Padparadscha said...

I've done a little research because I'm not so good on geography ; Montesquieu Avantes is near the Spanish border, 326 kilometers (200 miles) south from Lascaux which is not very far from Bordeaux. I think you can't visit the Cave des Trois Frères. Lots of painted caves are closed to the public.

You can visit "Lascaux 2", which is a faithful copy of the original in a nearby cave ; mass tourism was beginning to destroy the paintings of the original cave. I went there a few years ago, you can't stay very long in Lascaux 2, it's a guided visit. However it was a truly great experience for me...

Hugs

Hélène

Timaree said...

You are doing a very nice job with your shaman. I hope he brings you the centering you need. Just beading him must help you with that.