Tuesday, May 6, 2008

April BJP



Shortly after my last post, our dear long time companion dog, Keisha died at the age of 14. She had been blind for several years and was going deaf, and her main joy was to lay near a person and get petted, but she had been failing fairly rapidly in the last couple of months, eating less and just sort of visibly shrinking away. She never failed to wag her tail and seem happy to be around her people until the very end and she is missed. April's BJP page incorporates her latest vaccination tag surrounded by the rainbow colors to signify her journey on ahead. I spun up a bit of her long soft hair to surround the beads, the beadwork is fairly minimalist, but that was what I had in me. I moped around for a couple of weeks with a hole in my heart, and last week went to a local shelter and brought home a lovely 4 year old labrador lady who is helping me heal. Farewell Keisha, welcome home Rosa....

11 comments:

Robin said...

I especially love that you added Keisha's fur to this piece... It is a beautiful tribute and a touching way to keep her in your memory even as you welcome your new Rosa girl.

abeadlady said...

I like your tribute to Keisha. She would be proud. Sorry for your loss. I know Rosa has a good home now.

Arline

beadbabe49 said...

It's amazing what a huge hole they leave behind them in our hearts...but what a lovely way to begin the healing process...both the page and the new family member!

Brenda said...

What a gorgeous farewell to your companion. They are with us for such a short time, but they make such an impression. The fur is wonderful.

KV said...

Lovely tribute for a dear companion, Sarah -- somehow those holes in our hearts never seem to mend when we lose a beloved pet.

Hope Rosa becomes as dear to you . . .


Kathy V in NM

a2susan said...

Sending you hugs of healing and comfort.

Susan

Timaree said...

Such a great remembrance piece. Why do dogs have to have such a relatively short life? I hope your Rosa will get to enjoy her new life with you and am sorry for your loss of Keisha.

Ellen said...

Sarah, what a fitting tribute to a faithful friend. I love that you used her fur to edge the piece, so special - I hope that Rosa will fill the hole in your heart to over flowing

Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to give tribute to Keisha! I can relate to your feelings and wish I had done something like this when my "Puppers" died.

So glad that you have a Labrador Lady to help you fill the void

Beadily yours
Susan
nightbeaderatlarge.blogspot.com

Barb said...

You know, it's pretty much like having a child and a companion rolled into one. When I've lost dogs I've grieved like my closest human friend had died. That just shows what a wonderful part of your life they are. I loved the way you memorialized her, and went on to love another furry baby who needed a home.

The bad Liz said...

Beautiful tribute to Keisha! Beautiful work!