Tuesday, June 3, 2008

May BJP



I chose to use a Frida Kahlo stamp that my friend Mary gave me a few years ago as the center of the page. I love the freedom and intensity of Frida's work and admire her greatly, so I thought ending the year with a tribute to one of my favorite woman artists was fitting. The lizards surrounding her are wireworked, a technique I learned from Lisa DeFehr's book (out of print now, but a gem if you can find it: "Bead Sculpture Bugs and Dancing Frogs"). The beaded flower is a first for me, just five brickstiched petals reinforced with thin wire and then wired to a central bead. I like it because you can bend the petals in different ways. There are a few milagros scattered around, to continue the Mexican theme.

6 comments:

KV said...

Those lizards are awesome! Great page, Sarah . . .


Kathy V in NM

Robin said...

I like Frida too... an excellent tribute. Thanks for posting the close up picture of one of your lizards... and congratulations on finishing! Robin A.

Mary Tafoya said...

Hey Sarah -- YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED.

Go here, copy and paste, then post to your own blog (and don't forget to tag five others!)

http://seriousbeader.blogspot.com/2008/06/i-been-tagggged.html

Any Smith said...

Cool way to use a stamp - love the milagros and the lizards look like they're ready to scamper off the page. Great work.

Jacqui said...

I love Frida as well and to think at first she was considered the lesser artist of the 2 ( Diego).

I lover the 3d effect attaching the lizards has, makes it seem like the picture of Frida is jumping off the wall.


I love the tribute to your dog. We keep the tags of our passed on pets as well with a photo, as they will always be part of the family.

Padparadscha said...

Great page - magic and intriguing at the same time !

Congratulations also on using two new techniques for this page !