Saturday, June 2, 2007

beginnings

Ah! I've got my squares cut. All twelve of them, :-) I'm using a stiff stuff like material-I believe it's an upholstery stiffener, that Mary Tafoya gave me, and have decided on a 6x6 inch size, since I'm not really intending to fill all of the background with beads, necessarily. Mixed media is going to be my aim for this year, since strictly beads has been my focus for many years and I feel that the branching out is something I really want to do. My June square is going to be in honor of the summer solstice, longest day of the year, time of growth and light and warmth. Lots of ideas, but I'm not going to plan ahead. My first bead is going to be a button from my grandmother's collection, a nice brass looking filagree button, and then I'll try to work organically from that. More and more I've been growing an idea in my head of starting up a little bead and craft shop. I have a friend who is also a nurse who started up a coffee shop/bakery shop last year and she's encouraging me to start thinking about following my dream. So this month, as well as making a page for my journal, I'll be starting to formulate a business plan and estimate my start up costs. I'm thinking in terms of trying to get up off the ground by spring or summer of next year. Gasp! I put thought to printed word! A first step.

2 comments:

Mary Timme said...

Dreaming is just a way of knowing you are alive and ready for challenges. Writing them out!? Ah--now you've done it for sure. Then it means action almost has to follow. I admire your courage. Good luck,

Timaree said...

Good luck on your dream. I hope it becomes the reality you want. I hope you'll post the steps along the way and the name you'll pick and wouldn't it be wonderful if 240 people you sort of know stopped by on opening day??!!