Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Practice really DOES improve performance


HOW IT LOOKS NOW (YARN ON MY SPINDLES)





HOW IT LOOKED A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO







ABOUT SIX MONTHS AGO




LAST YEAR'S MESS



For the past year or so, I've been attempting to learn how to spin yarn on a drop spindle. My first attempts were so pathetic that I put my spindles away for months at a time before attempting the process again. This past winter, I decided to really give it a try and ended up making many balls of lumpy, misshapen messes-decidedly NOT yarn. This spring and summer I started to improve a bit, and after some youTube searches, and watching several different gals spinning with different methods, I decided to try again and to work at it for at least twenty minutes a day. Sometime this summer everything seemed to snap into place, and my hands began to know what do when the wool was too thick or too thin, and how to draft out long light strands of stuff that really does look like yarn. This winter, I'm going to take all my different grades of "yarn" and make myself some sort of knitted, or maybe crocheted scarf that shows off the progress of the process. I love spinning now, and intend to keep going until I'm really good at it.

No comments: