Tuesday, September 1, 2009

WOW! Swarovskis!


MONTANA SILVER NECKLACE


BACK OF BEZELED CRYSTAL

I've worked with Swarovski crystals off and on for over a decade. Mostly I have used bicones for hugs and kisses type jewelry. So when I was contacted by Artbeads.com with an offer to sample some of their Swarovski products in return for blogging about them, I decided to use something outside of my usual comfort area. I decided to try my hand at working with some fancy pear shaped crystals. I got one Montana Sapphire, and two Crystal Red Magma crystals. When they arrived yesterday I was amazed. I've seen Swarovski flatbacks before, but I'd never really noticed the pear shaped crystals, and the depth and faceting in them is indescribable. I was stoked enough to work up the Montana Sapphire, starting yesterday evening and finishing the piece this afternoon. I bezeled the crystal with some of my hoard of sterling silver clad charlottes, and made a necklace of bicones, charlottes and larger silver plated seed beads. The necklace is about 18 inches long, and the pattern is called RAW vines, invented by my buddy Chris Prussing in Alaska. I'm including a picture here, but the picture doesn't do it justice. It's too cloudy today to get a picture that shows the depth and glow of the crystal. I'll try again next time the sun comes out and see if that makes a difference. I'm thinking I'll use the two Red Magmas on a cuff bracelet, but that will have to wait til next week. I haven't decided what to name this beauty...I'm toying with the name Montana Silver, or Montana Nights.
I want to say a special thank you to the folks at Artbeads for giving me the opportunity to use a product I wouldn't normally have bought for myself. Now I have to figure out how to restrain myself from buying all of the other fancy shaped Swarovski components that I've never considered using before. Well, maybe I'll just get one or two.....

2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Its an absolutely beautiful piece. You certainly showed off a beautiful stone well.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Your extreemly talented my dear.. it is a beautiful necklace. ;-) Do you sell ?