Sunday, August 8, 2010

Good deed rewarded



My friend Sally met a woman in Santa Fe the other day. Her name is Debora Duran-Geiger and she's a tile maker who lives in Santa Fe and Panama, and Sally, being Sally, struck up a conversation with her at Hobby Lobby because she noticed Debora's really fantastic beaded purse and mola blouse. Turns out Debora is here in New Mexico to sell tiles at the Artist Outdoor show at the Santa Fe Plaza. Besides doing tile work, Debora teaches women in Panama beadwork, and she told Sally how difficult it is for them to get beading supplies. Sally, being Sally, gave Debora her 'bead soup' and put out a call to the online bead group we both belong to for any bead soup (basically any collection of unsorted or mixed beads) that anyone could spare. Luckily I had a rather large backlog of beads, due to being given a ton of beads by a dear friend last year (beads that had belonged to an avid beader who had died-her family didn't want the beads to just languish, and Steve appropriated them for me.)
Funny thing, I went down to Santa Fe this morning with what felt like 20 pounds of beads and was lugging them through the many, many booths in the plaza when I spotted the purse that Sally had so aptly described. I accosted Debora and ended up spending a bit of time with her at her booth. The beads were gratefully received, and Debora gifted me with one of her tiles, framed and signed. I couldn't resist buying two more (one of which is pictured above, the other I'm holding back, as it's a present for a friend). Of course, Debora gave me an extraordinary discount on the two that I bought, so I feel like a double winner. I got the joy of giving and the joy of a bargain all in one day!

1 comment:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is the kind of story I love to hear. To be rewarded for a kindness. A giving act. Well, its unnecessary for sure, but it is also the way of the Universe. An encouragement to continue to be who you are.