Saturday, August 21, 2010

INDIAN MARKET!!!!


I met up with my old friend Steve, who flew in from Portland to attend this year's Indian Market, on Friday, the day before Market started. He managed to score this darling little casita just two blocks from the Plaza in Santa Fe where most of the Indian Market madness occurs, including a coveted parking pass for me! We scouted out the area the day before and then hit the Market in earnest this morning. There are apparently over 1200 artists showing this year, and over 600 booths, and I doubt that we've seen even half yet. Maybe a quarter. There is some SERIOUS talent showing at Indian Market.
I was thrilled to see that my friend Sally's husband Jerry had garnered 2 blue ribbons for his beadwork and quillwork. The pic below is Jerry in his quilled/horsehair bedecked leather coat. The work is exquisite!



Sally and Jerry, and Sally's talented daughter Amber Gauthier have a booth on Palace Ave. showcasing Jerry's traditional beadworked items, his paintings, Amber's paintings and some seriously cool skateboard decks by Amber.
Sally tried to hide from the camera:

Closeup of Amber's decks:

Sally and Jerry surrounded by Jerry's beadwork and paintings, with Amber's paintings just showing behind Sally:


Jerry's first prize winning bag:


Sigh! I'll never come close to doing beadwork like that, but I sure love to see it!

No comments: