Sunday, August 22, 2010

More Indian Market

Another foray around the Plaza and beyond. This time I saw a beautiful blue ribbon blanket, woven by TahNibaa Naataanii of Shiprock, NM. She also had a framed piece in the booth-her very first weaving, done at the age of 7. This artist is also experimenting with weaving on a European style loom and also had two fabulous felted scarf/runner pieces that were like nothing I'd ever seen, with sections of what looked like silk fabric incorporated into the raw felting (I didn't take pics of these.)





The first weaving piece is mounted on what looks like a regular 8 1/2 by 11 inch sized paper. Delicate and intricate work for such a little girl.

There was a scultptor on the Plaza who had a blue ribbon piece, too. I also loved the salmon that was sitting next to the bigger totem like piece. He didn't have any cards out, and was busy chatting with a visitor, so I managed to not get his name.









I managed to restrain myself and limited my purchases to two pieces by young artists. One is a clever little mouse done by a young Acoma girl, and the other is a snake done by an eight year old Zuni boy. Pictures to follow later.

No comments: